Wednesday, January 17, 2007

Happy Anniversary!

This blog turned two years old yesterday. Wow, how time flies! I've covered lots of ground in this blog: politics, movies, comics, life, love and now my latest thing, diecast cars. All things considered, my posts have been pretty hobby-heavy, with comics taking up a good percentage of the posts and now my current hobby doing the same. I guess I should probably diversify, though I've already opened a brand new blog, kidztuff.blogspot (kidstuff was taken) just to share anecdotes about my kids and possibly preserve them online for posterity (at least until blogger goes offline, which I hope is never). And well, heck, this is my blog. I don't have any particular train of thought impelling this post, so I'll just jot down some random thoughts:

I am fighting the urge to head back to my Greenhills nook and buy something again. It hasn't even been a month since Christmas day, when this all began, and yet I've spent a small fortune on diecast cars. I won't go into specifics, but suffice it to say that at the height of my comics collecting, I didn't spend as much on comic books in six months as I have spent in the last four weeks. I've gone from enthusiastic to excessive to prodigal in practically no time at all. While this hobby is certainly engaging, it's simply got to go on hiatus for awhile.My hands are trembling.

There's some buzz in the F1 fan community about the launch of the 2007 cars and driver line-ups. The first race of the calendar, the Australian Grand Prix, is still a good two months away but people are already getting excited. I launched another blog devoted to F1, jimarroyosf1.blogspot, but all things considered maybe I'll just scrub it and post my f1 thoughts here, if only to add variety to the things I talk about. I don't know. Reigning world champion Fernando Alonso made quite a splash with his new look for his new team: white-and-red Mclaren overalls and a new buzz-cut in contrast to his blue -and-yellow Renault jumpsuit and long hair. Ferrari staged a relatively low-key launch for their 2007 car, but most of the other major teams, including world champion Renault, have yet to officially unveil their cars for the year. I won't make any predictions just yet but the first Michael Schumacher-less F1 year in over 16 years looks like it's gonna be a doozy.

The reports that one of Abu Sayyaf's top people is dead may come as a relief to some, but to those of us who know that where there is poverty there will always be brigands of one form or another it's just another dead body. Still, one has to congratulate the normally sensationalist, doom-and-gloom media for actually putting something positive in the headlines for a change.

The weather's a little chilly these days; truly the January and February chill are upon us. These are easily the coldest months in our calendar and it doesn't look like 2007 is going to be any exception.


Okay, enough soundbites. They're giving me a headache. Time to get back to work.

No comments: