Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Travesty

Some time after I had left the PCGG, I was thunderstruck to learn how the folks in charge had basically fucked everything up for the valiant Haydee Yorac and her crew of commissioners. Essentially, it turned out all she had done was to take wads of cash from the pockets of one set of thieves only to transmit it to the pockets of another. It was frustrating enough to make her quit, and maybe even kill her, I don't know. God rest her soul, poor woman.

Just as with the PCGG, I left the Supreme Court about six weeks ago with no baggage, with no ill will against anyone, and with no regrets whatsoever. I just felt it was time to move on, but at the same time I'm glad I was there for as long as I was. I was proud to be part of such a fine institution.

It makes me sick to the bowels of my being, therefore, to see the current Chief Justice milk his position for as much media exposure as he can possibly get, largely at the expense of the credibility of the institution.

The way Art Panganiban postured on the death penalty just before its abolition by Congress speaks rather ill of his credibility as a magistrate, much less as the head of the highest court of the land. He claims there was no impropriety to what he said, and that he should be free to express his own opinion.

Well, Mr. Chief Justice, here's the thing: your personal opinion finds its way into some of the country's most important decisions and resolutions. Your opinion, in many instances, has the force of law. Your opinion can shape lives or break them. Your opinion doesn't belong to you right now: it belongs to the Supreme Court.

I think this guy is in the wrong line of work, really. He should have his own talk show, whether or radio or on TV. He is a glory hound unlike any there ever was. Put next to his most immediate predecessor, the eminent Hilario Davide who guarded his own convictions closely when asked for his take on issues of transcendental importance. The guy showed dignity and composure. His successor is kind of like a circus clown with the way he carries on.

All of 2005's bar passers must know of his little slide presentation during their oath-taking, a solemn occasion that is supposed to be part of the Supreme Court's official business. Instead, the chief took the opportunity to tell his sad sob story growing up, which, I've told, is notably exaggerated in some portions. Incidents like that made me glad I passed the last bar during Davide's term. The stinker of it is (for those who were there, anyway) that no batch after this will ever have to endure such annoyance because Panganiban is stepping down in December.

Some comment has been made about how generous Panganiban is with the bonuses he lavishes on Court employees. Well, of course he can be generous; it's not exactly his money he's giving away now, is it?

I don't know if I'll ever work at the Supreme Court again, as much as I liked it there, but I do know one thing for sure: I'm definitely not going back while Panganiban is still in charge.

No comments: