Friday, April 01, 2005

Then and Now

It's official; sometime (presumably) late next week I will find out if I will be able to take my attorney's oath this year. After all the false alarms and rumors and "reliable sources" I have finally heard a categorical declaration from no less than the Supreme Court that the results will be out next week. Up until today the responses I got from the Bar Chair's office had been utterly noncommittal. Now it's absolutely certain.

In all honesty, I haven't felt this way since I was waiting for the results of my Law Aptitude Exam. I didn't even feel this way last year; the bar was just something I wanted to get over with. Now, it's more than that: a large part of me wants to pass the bar more than I want air itself. Pretty messed up, huh?

I can't help but look back on how different things were then from the way they are now. The regimes of government, my relationship...excuse me, my CIVIL...status, the movies that were out, the music people were listening to, hell, even the comics (some of you could have seen that coming, I'm sure).

Through it all, though, I've pretty much stayed the same, except for a few rude awakenings here and there, but man, what a journey it has been. I guess I'm finally starting look back with some fondness on those years, because as presumptuous as this may sound I truly feel that I can finally close the chapter of my life which I spent studying to become a lawyer, and can now move on to the various other chapters of my life.

One constant I'm happy to have had all these years is my family and my core group of friends. Happily, my years in law school saw the introduction of another constant in my life, my beautiful and feisty (sometimes to a fault) wife and my son (with another baby on the way). Life has changed, as it is supposed to, but having a number of nice, solid constants has surely made the transition that much easier.

Here's to life and all it yet holds in store.

No comments: