Tuesday, March 29, 2005

An alternative 4j Casting Call

K, guys, I don't now if this has been done before, (and I'm too lazy to look at the archives) so consider this either new ground broken, or an update. I know there have been phone conversations about this, but here is my proposed cast list for select J-boys (the ones not included are those for whom I cannot think of any actors). These casting choices, as much as possible, are strictly character-based; I will be steering clear of obvious crap like casting the guy who plays Kumar as Philip Pichay.

So in no particular order, here they are...

Me (Jim)- either Paul Giamatti (yes! I so identified with him in "Sideways") or Jim Carrey as he appeared in "Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events", OR Nicolas Cage as he appeared in "Adaptation." Joey said "Topher Grace" but I honestly feel kind of flattered by that, especially considering he shags Scarlett Johansson in his newest movie.

Budoy - Phillip Seymour Hoffman ("Twister", "The Talented Mr. Ripley", "Scent of a Woman", "Almost Famous"). He just has that sardonic air about him... Jack Black is too wacky and cartoony for my taste.

R-Jay - Brendan Fraser as he appeared in "George of the Jungle?" or maybe "Dudley Do Right?" I don't know. I'm just thinking along the lines of eternal goofball with a heart of gold, I guess. Maybe Will Ferrell. I'm also going for casting which circumvents any possible gay jokes...

Miko - Thomas Haden Church ("Sideways") Jay actually had R-Jay in mind for this, but I was thinking more along the lines of a charming heel, which kind of personifies Miko, really...

TC - okay, for reasons I don't understand, I perceive similarities between TC's mannerisms and those of Guy Pearce (does Elena see it, I wonder?), but I think Chris Kattan "A Night at the Roxbury", "Corky Romano" or haha, Eddie Griffin "Undercover Brother" would get him down pretty well.

Rhochie - If the casting is to be character-based, I think David Spade would do a pretty good job. Or maybe Martin Lawrence.

Joel - Sean Hayes ("Will and Grace") on some kind of sedative. He's actually not a bad actor. It's just that "Will and Grace" has him playing such a cartoon character. Orlando Jones would be an okay choice too (see "The Time Machine.")

Joey - if Jim Carrey or Nicolas Cage plays me, then he gets Paul Giamatti. How about David Alan Grier?

Ryan - Hugh Grant. See every romantic comedy Hugh Grant has ever done, including "About a Boy." Say it again with me: Hugh Grant.

Carlo - Hmmm. Either Zach Braff or Jack Black. Is it coincidence that the actors I thought of have similar sounding names? I know not.

Philip - John Cusack. See "High Fidelity" and it will make sense.

Damn. Only ten of us. I would like to aggressively INVITE more casting, if this hasn't already been done, and like I said...be CREATIVE. As much as possible, try to steer away from casting that is racially-based, or even appearance based. Come on! Let's see how much you guys want us to be in the movies!

7 comments:

Ryan said...

i'm guessing jay t had a hand in this.
i guess i am kind of shallow, but it's only because of maslow's hiearchy of needs.
i can't self-actualize until i've accomplished baser goals.
wahaha.

Jim Arroyo said...

well, no, actually, your casting was all me, and I was really just thinking more along the lines of the lovable cad than anything else. Now that you put it that way, though, I can almost picture you turning down a fellow j-boy's request for you to be ninong to his daughter on account of...well, you've obviously seen "About a Boy," so I won't expound at the risk of being vulgar...

Damn. Obviously this post was intended for the J-Bar, because I was really hoping for people's own ideas on who should play whom. I sure hope the rest of them check it out...

I was SOOOO tempted to put the AA/William Hung thing that Joey brought up, because...ohmygod...it's just absolutely stuck since the day I heard about it...but I think it's just a little too cruel.

Jay said...

I'd still cast daniel stern to play you Jim. Paul Giamatti doesn't fit you physically.

banzai cat said...

David Allan Grier, the black guy? Huh? Though I've seen Paul Giamatti and he's okay I guess.

I do know I get called Nicolas Cage more. Does that say something, Jim, that we get the same actor comparisons? :-D

How about Vin Diesel for John Verayo? As for RJ and gay jokes, am thinking more on the lines of Adam Sandler's friends in "Big Daddy". Bwahaha!

Jim Arroyo said...

Fine. Maybe Daniel Stern as he appeared in "Celtic Pride" (with Dan Aykroyd and Damon Wayans). Character-based, people! See, Joey gets Nicolas Cage comparisons because of character similarities. You, Jay, got PSH because of his drawl (see "Talented Mr. Ripley" and "Almost Famous") and that...well...air of his.

Vin Diesel as John Verayo? Could work...Hey, any suggestions for Sonny Pasimio? That guy's always been a character...

Jay said...

RJay = Seann William Scott
Sonny = Jimmy Fallon

Jim Arroyo said...

hahahaha!!! SWS as R-Jay is an absolute bullseye!!!

Jimmy Fallon...well, I've only seen him in Taxi so you'd likely be a better judge.

But Sean William Scott has got to be the best casting thus far!!!