Sunday, March 30, 2008

No More Excuses

I've been on moratorium from collecting toy cars for the last six months or so. The moratorium first came into force after I spent in excess of three thousand pesos, or over eighty US dollars, on a 1/18 scale toy version of the Ferrari F2007 that Kimi Raikkonen drove to victory. Since then I've been able to sneak in the occasional P100 Hot Wheels or Matchbox, and last month I managed a P250 purchase of a Shelby Mustang, but my expenses have yet to scale such towering heights again, and will not do so for a little while to come. As far as anything above P500 is concerned it's a big fat nyet.

Fortunately I had settled into "Holy Grail" mode, meaning, that I would save up for that next big push, in this case a 1/18 scale Audi R8 by Kyosho. I'm more than willing to bide my time on this one, because I know there aren't a whole lot of people willing to pony up that kind of money for this thing.

Oddly enough, I comforted myself with the thought that, even while saving up for this glorious coup, I would still be on the lookout for less pricey stuff, namely the Audi R8 and the Porsche 911 GT3, both rendered by Matchbox in gloriously affordable 1/64. I figured that the hunt for these would keep me nice and happy till the big day, whenever that may be.

Well, yesterday I found both Matchbox cars in one fell swoop, and in true fanboy/collector tradition, bought two of each; one to save and one to open.

I'm so deliriously happy with the way the GT3 was done that I even posted a product review of it over on my multiply page. I was of course happy to find the Audi R8, but found the paint job a little disappointing considering that the car has a somewhat patented look with one color for its body and another, highly contrasting color for the aluminum blades covering the massive cooling vents on either side of the car, for example, white body, blue blades, or blue body, silver blades. Matchbox eschewed any such color combinations and just colored the car a plain silver, even though the casting of the car itself is still topnotch for something so small.

I guess my 'problem' now is that I really have no excuse left from swearing off collecting and saving up for 'the big one.' Ah, well...

No comments: