Sunday, February 11, 2007

Send In The Clowns

See, THIS is why I'd rather write about movies, or my hobbies, or "fluff."

Because all things considered, next to the "hard-hitting" stuff, the stuff that is supposed to matter, it all seems so much more relevant.

Just this past weekend I've been treated to spectacular displays of stupidity as election season seems to have started a tad early.

Yesterday afternoon I was treated to a shameless display of jump-the-gun campaigning as aspiring senator Richard Gomez used his show, the "S-Files" to broadcast (no pun intended) his intentions to anyone watching. Maybe the guy really is some kind of idealist but I'm pretty sure he crossed a line when he used his TV show as a campaign platform. I can't say for certain but offhand I think he may have violated the statutory period allowed for campaigning. Anyway, let's see if anyone thinks to sue him for it.

Later on I was "treated" to both sides of the political fence announcing their respective lineups for the senatorial race. Seeing people like Pangilinan and Villar batting for the opposition was no big surprise considering how pissed they were when GMA signaled her intention to put the Senate on the chopping block so she could save her ass, but what really blew me away was seeing Tessie Oreta and Tito Sotto on the ADMINISTRATION slate.

Oreta, whose dance of joy incited an angry populace to stage EDSA II. Sotto, who basically was one of the driving forces behind the failed FPJ presidency, who, during his heyday in the Senate, was embroiled in drug charges, which was ironic considering he was supposed to be part of a task force meant to stamp the whole thing out. It's hilarious how desperate the administration are to show off how they've "won over" these buffoons. It's musical chairs at its very worst.

My God, our elections have gone from farce to cartoon. Well, thinking about it, they've been cartoons for ages now but I guess I just persisted in the delusion that they were even halfway serious.


Yep, give me my comics and diecast cars any day of the week. At least they seem more lifelike.

No comments: