Friday, August 05, 2005

Nothing Like a Political Crisis to Bring Out the Writer...

The current political circus has had me reading the papers a lot. I generally don't waste time with the front page any more, because all of the posturing by the parties concerned (on both sides) is usually more irritation than it's worth. I don't seek refuge in the traditional men's corner (namely the comics and the sports page). What really grabs my attention these days is the editorial pages.

In particular, I've taken a liking to the musings of one of Philippine journalism's oldest living veterans, Philippine Star publisher Max Soliven. I used to read Teddy Benigno, too, and really felt bad about his passing, which left a void I don't think has really been filled. I also like to read Amado Doronilla of the Philippine Daily Inquirer, whose career as a journalist has proven similarly durable, but his dour, serious style contrasts rather sharply with Soliven's wonderfully sardonic undertones.

It's a funny thing about Soliven: I used to hate that guy's columns, because it seemed that for the longest time, all he could talk about were his freaking trips abroad. I lost interest after the second or third time I read about one of his jaunts to Europe.

But if there's one good thing all this brouhaha about the administration has brought about, it's the fact that Soliven is writing again, and I mean really giving his two cents' worth on all the shit that keeps hitting the fan day in and day out. His writing is intelligent and funny, and I love that from the tone of his writing, he simply cannot be branded as partisan to either side.

Other writers, like Conrado de Quiros of the Inquirer, or Emil Jurado of the Standard Today, tend to foam at the mouth when they discuss politics, so charged up with their convictions that their columns feel less like opinion pieces and more like diatribes.

Soliven's column is by comparison so much more sober and a lot like the writings of another pillar of Philippine society: Senator Jovito Salonga. These guys don't wear out on their sleeves whether they're for or against GMA, or Erap, or whoever's hogging the front pages. They just call things like they see them, give their own take on where things are going, and sit back and enjoy the ride. Between the two of them, they've seen times that are way worse than these, and yet you don't see the veins sticking out of their necks as they scream their indignation at one faction or another.

At this time, we need people like Max Soliven and Senator Salonga. Sober. Contemplative. These guys are the true patriots, not the shrieking zealots and certainly not the wolves in Congressmen's clothing.

5 comments:

Hobbes said...

I like Soliven's prose myself. I actually like the articles on his travels. One purpose they serve is as a reminder that we are not special, we are not the worst or the best, but just one group trying to make its own way among other groups.

Rhochie said...

Patriots, now there's an abused word nowadays. Politicos fashioning themselves as patriots, even those sorry excuses for communists are painting themselves as patriots. So sad, really.

You're right about the Soliven, though. If I didn't know any better, he sounds like a moderate. Something this country is in short supply of.

banzai cat said...

Huh. That's strange, most of the opinions I've heard about Soliven has been bad, bashing him for being pro-GMA.

But I do agree: the reason I've been turned-off from de Quiros is is foaming-from-the-mouth diatribes. Yes you hate GMA, we get that already!

However, I don't find Doronilla as dour, more like what you said: he writes it as he sees it, straight up. Plus his analyses of current events are pretty damn good.

banzai cat said...

Oh, and responding to Rhoch, does that mean we've become moderates in politics as we've become older? :-D

Rhochie said...

There's a small difference with his form of bashing and the other editors. His doesn't raise my blood pressure at all. Hehe

As for us being a moderate, speak for yourself. ;) I'm not a moderate; I lean slightly off center and a little bit to the right.