Wednesday, June 08, 2005

In Praise of the Mid-Range Jump Shot

I am one of the taller members of my high school class. In this country, if you're over six feet people tend to assume you're a basketball player. Well, I was, in fact, a frustrated (and I use the word emphatically) track star, not really a cager, although I think one would have to be either handicapped or gay to be able to go through four years of high school without playing a single basketball game, at least if you're five foot nine or taller (I started high school at about five nine and graduated at roughly six feet).

I had a respectable vertical leap, so in the games with classmates and friends it was easy enough to monster the boards, unless I went up against the real basketball players, who more often than not outhustled me for rebounds. I was also a "low-post" kind of player, which I liked given that at one point, with my leap, I could grab a secure hold of the ring, a talent I carried all the way to my early years in law school.

Things pretty much went downhill about midway through law school, with my exercise time dwindling and my metabolism suddenly stalling bigtime. Since 2001, I've gained about fifteen pounds which have proven very, very difficult to shed, so my ring-grabbing days are all but over. I still like to shoot hoops, though, since my cousin has had a basketball ring installed in the backyard of the compound my family shares.

And it was there that I discoverd the jump shot.

The beauty of the jump shot is that just about anyone can master it. There is still a level of fitness involved, to be sure, but nothing like the kind that's needed to slam dunk or lay-up or even shoot three-pointers. It's just a matter of knowing how to shoot, which, in my older years, I seem to be a little better at.

I'm still taller than many of my friends, but now I don't feel like an overweight goofball moving in slow motion whenever we shoot some hoops. I have an asset to offer now; I can shoot the ball. It's fun to actually play and do something other than wave your arms in the air or wait under the ring for missed shots to recover.

The jump shot has saved the joy of basketball for me, which I almost lost going into adulthood. As a matter of fact, I think I even enjoy it more now than I ever did as a teen. Now I don't have to feel like a 40-year-old fart who's altogether lost zeal for sports, and while I'll never be eighteen again, at least 29 is now a fun place to be when it comes to basketball games, which are as useful in keeping friendships alive in one's older years as they are during one's adolescence.

4 comments:

Ryan said...

that's good, jim.
keeping fit!

Jay said...

Setting the stage...

About two years ago...

4J Old Farts vs. a bunch of fresh grads.

The J-boys just needed to score one more basket to win. Hurried jumper clanks off the ring. Jim skies high for the board, dribble once then launches upward for th put back.

Everything was moving in slow motion. Jim's vaunted vertical leap was still ever-present, his elongated arms stretched upward.

It was NBA-esque. The titan emerging from the crowd, looking to slam it in with both hands.

Then, after reaching the apex, Jim was coaxed back down by gravity.

And the ball was still in his hands.

J-boys lose by 1...

Hee.

Jim Arroyo said...

...and that's around the time I started working on my jumpshot.

banzai cat said...

Bwahahahaha!!!

... I'm sorry, I know I shouldn't laugh...

Bwahahahahaha!!!