Saturday, February 26, 2005

Originality...please.

Alexander Payne

Although ironically enough, his latest film, "Sideways" is adapted from a novel, and although the scope of his storytelling technique supposedly harkens back to the films of old, Payne provides such freshness in the way he offers up his stories that we wouldn't really know that.

Alfonoso Cuaron

Yes, I really enjoyed Y Tu Mama Tambien, even though I only saw it on a bootleg VCD (not even a DVD). It was really ballsy (no pun intended) storytelling, given that Cuaron was simply unafraid of any sexual taboos. It wasn't just an excuse for a bunch of kids to get naked. Anyone who in this day and age can put that much sex in a movie and still tell a rather compelling story deserves some kind of special mention.

...and suddenly, the well runs dry.

You know what? Frankly I'm not exposed to enough cinema, and am basically yet another (occasionally) willing victim of the unstoppable machine that is Hollywood. Maybe it's my age showing, but I find myself craving something new, or at least a new way to present something old, and the fact that it hasn't happened for so long is driving me nuts.

I mean, this is the first time I've found myself genuinely indifferent to the thought of who will win this year's Best Picture Oscar, mainly because I know my personal favorite "Sideways" is not likely to bag the award.

It is sad that the list of original filmmakers I can think of is as short as it is (although I'm sure I could think of more were I so inclined). There are talented filmmakers scattered all around the world, and not just in the traditional Hollywood nooks. They're all over Europe, Asia, and even Africa, just waiting for audiences to soak up their stuff. It's just sad that a lot of them never really get the validation they deserve from worldwide audiences.

3 comments:

banzai cat said...

You ever try the Asian movies? The Zatoichi remake by Beat Kitano is pretty good as well as My Wife is a Gangster (though I haven't finished this).

Also: 2046, The Chungking Express-- movies I haven't watched...

Jay said...

I recommend Garden State by that guy from Scrubs. He wrote and directed the entire movie about a guy who is numb to the world around him and he learns that he's that way because of medicine his dad has been forcing him to take for twenty years.

Jim Arroyo said...

Yes, as a matter of fact I think I will borrow your Garden State...that is if the moratorium has been lifted.

I WANTED to see 2046, really I did. I've heard the Zatoichi remake inspired "Kill Bill?" It's worth checking out for that reason alone...

Theia loved "Wife is a Gangster" which I think she rented, watched while I was at work, then returned or something like that...point is I haven't seen it but would sure like to...